Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Why Rush Heads my List of Favs

Not because Neal Peart is an America Basher, not because of Geddy's voice, not because of Alex's mystifying ability on guitar...

But because of Lyrics like these in unison with Geddy and Alex. Rush, IMHO, is the tightest 3 member band there is, musically speaking... No other 3-man combo comes close.


The Trees

There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!"
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"The oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light."
Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw.


I've always been drawn to music and musicians whose lyrics are as important-- if not more so --as the music. Some of those on my list don't necessarily apply... it just so happens I like their music. It's that simple.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I heard this this morning and it reminded me of today's political climate... then it reminded me of Pearts disdain for Americans... which then reminded me that he's entitled to feel anyway he wishes toward anyone he wishes.

Rush still gets my money each time they release a new CD, for no other reason than that I know it'll be fantastic.

May 20, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Em said...

One of my favorite songs for quality lyrics is "A Rose is a Rose" by Susan Ashton. (Here's a site with the lyrics: http://www.dapslyrics.com/display.php?sid=2847)

It's frustrating when I find a band whose sound I like but whose lyrics I hate. Example = Green Day. :-P

May 20, 2006 4:07 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I can't say that I'm not affected by the positions of artists I admire, because in some cases I am.

However, in many cases--Dixie Chicks being one--you can't deny the art.

I can't help but enjoy listening to great music regardless of whose art it may be.

May 20, 2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I know what you mean. It's also frustrating to fall in love with a group who last no more than 1 or 2 CD's like October Project, who couldn't continue because of the contract they had signed with their label. Their music was beyond phenomenal, but when they weren't touring to pay off the record company, they were waiting tables and bike messengering to make ends meet. Courtney Love has a lot to say about the abuses of record companies that create, in effect, indentured servants of most new and promising bands.

May 20, 2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger SimeyC said...

Absolutely - Rush are perhaps my favorite band of all time - I had the privelage of going to both the Vapor Trails tour, and the 30th Anniversary tour...see my 'experience' on:
http:\\forrushfans.blogspot.com

BTW I disagree a little with your comment "No other 3-man combo comes close." - there also is a little known band called Cream - with an unknown guitarist Eric Clapton...*grin*

May 20, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Absolutely right.

Rush is the Greatest.

The song "The Trees" was originally written as a commentary on Race relations and Affirmative Action in America, but through class warfare tactics, phrases like "Tax Cuts for the Rich", and ever increasing Government Dependancy programs, the Democrats have managed to create enough victims and "Losers of Life's Lottery" of all races to diminish the racial aspect of the song's message.

While the absurdity that the Lyrics point out grows ever more prevalent.

Rush is my all time favorite band.

If you haven't heard "Mystic Rythms", "Bravado", or "Show, Don't Tell" lately, you should look them up and spin them one more time.

Musically Great, Lyrically incredible.

Thanks for reminding me.

May 21, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Musically, phenomenal!

Just think of another tune off the Hemispheres album, La Villa Strangiato!

Awesome stuff!

May 22, 2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home