Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Recapping Valentine's Day

The day began at 6am... not a good hour for one already exhausted from a week of 12 hour days. I was at the flower shop by 7 and immediately began loading the van for deliveries. I felt like crap all morning and much of the afternoon and early evening. My blood sugars been high, and I've just felt weak.

Anyway...

It's Valentine's Day. The biggest societal Male-Guilt Trip there is. Men are expected to produce flowers, candy, and jewelry for-- in many cases --ungrateful women. Case in point...

1 delivery this morning to a woman at a doctor's office....

"I told that bastard not to send me flowers!"

Some man shelled out 60 plus dollars to send this woman flowers she immediately scorned, and publicly.

It's expected for a man to buy his significant other something on Valentine's Day. A man may get away with forgetting a birthday or Christmas, but on February 14th there better be something on its way via messenger or personal delivery sometime before midnight. And the sooner in the day the better. What kind of man waits til 11 PM to show up with flowers? A man who put it off till the last minute, or all but forgot what day it was. No, those flowers better arrive first thing in the morning or there's hell to pay.

I don't appreciate being held hostage to a centuries dead, beheaded priest, to say nothing of the ungrateful demands of some woman who doesn't appreciate me enough throughout the year, let alone on Valentine's Day.

This doesn't mean I won't be delivering something before midnight... I'm not entirely stupid.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, well this year (once again) I am not tied to a woman, and therefore I have no woman to offend (TG).

One year I bought this one woman 4 and a half dozen roses, one rose for each day we had been together... it cost me a fortune, and within a month it was all over. What a wasted investment.

February 15, 2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

El, you've been watching too much "Daly Show"!

BTW, it looks as if my cyber-problems are over and I'm back in action. I look forward to frequenting your awesome site and absorbing your thoughtful insight.

February 16, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Elrod. Please explain yourself. What in this post gives the impression that I watch the Daily Show? I don't btw...

Thanks for the compliment and welcome back.

February 16, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I don't watch it either. I happened to catch one of their skits a few days ago while surfing that emphasized a "centuries dead, beheaded priest".

February 16, 2006 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home