Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

On This Most Auspicious Day...

My sister has given me a gift. At the time of its publication, were I capable of reading-- capable of anything more than soiling my diaper and crying to be fed --this is what I could have bought at the newsstand for a mere sixty cents. So how much is a copy of Esquire today? Six, seven dollars? I don't think I've ever bought an issue myself.

What's most interesting about this issue is how little things have changed in forty-six years. On page seventy-nine is an article by Dan Wakefield entitled, Good-bye New York... There could be an X where once there was an island, a look at the western fear of Soviet Russia and the growing threat of nuclear annihilation. Another interesting note comes from the cover of this issue promoting an article on page forty-five by Eleanor Roosevelt, Reflections on the Next President.

"This man will be confronted by graver issues than have ever faced a Chief Executive. Because the sands are running out, most of these basic issues must be solved within a frighteningly short time, so we must weigh carefully the capacity and the record of the man who is to shoulder that great responsibility. For the kind of solution he decides upon may well affect our future well-being as a nation."

Do you think she had an inkling of who would win the race?

Looking at the photos and the ads it's easy to see how much has changed since the month and year I entered the world. Reading the words and sentiments between the photos and ads, especially Mrs. Roosevelt's sentiments, I see how little things have really changed.

The magazine is a nice gift, and completely unexpected. My sister is like me in this respect; her idea of giving is not like most people we know, in that gifts should have meaning, and wherever possible, a handmade gift has far more lasting value. Despite her surprising thoughtfulness-- gifts are a rarity between us siblings --I doubt my sister took much note of what was on the cover, or its contents, beside the month and year. But that's okay; the gift is deeply appreciated.

Happy Birthday to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Happy birthday, you old fart.

You have a cool sis.

:-)

August 23, 2006 1:55 PM  
Blogger Ms.Green said...

Hope it was a good day for you.

August 23, 2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Happy Birthday, my friend.

What number is this?

27, 28?

August 23, 2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I thought the date on the magazine would give it away.... but since I have to spell it out, I'm

19

August 23, 2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

plus...

27

August 23, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

[...Sigh....]

August 23, 2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Happy Birthday, Eric!

Sorry I'm late in tellig you.

August 24, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

*clears throat*

Haaapy birthday toooo yoooouuu!

*dog howls in background*

August 24, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Thank you one and all. It was a pretty decent day, but I hope I won't have to do it again any time soon.

;-)

August 24, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Jack H said...

My brother's birthday is the 23. Mine's the 27th. We're not twins. HB, Junior. I just tell people I'm 29. Well, the anniversary of my 29th birthday. Same thing, practically. Whose counting. I was born in a year whent there were only 48 states. Then 49. Then 50. It's so confusing. I'd love one of those 49 star flags. Nifty.


J

August 25, 2006 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home