Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Three Personal Fives

If the house was on fire and I had only enough time to grab five things from three locations... If I was to be stranded on a desert Island and could have any five things of three categories; reading, listening, watching (assuming, of course an unlimited supply of batteries, and the media with which to play CD's and DVD's)...

Curiously, I've chosen nothing that would enable me to build a boat, or survive in the wilderness. If the house has merely burned down, I'm good. If I'm stranded on the island... I'm doomed.


5 Books I can't imagine living without:
By Importance...

The Bible: KJV
--God

The Martian Chronicles
--Ray Bradbury

Siddartha
--Herman Hesse

The Lord of the Rings
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Call it Courage
--Armstrong Sperry



5 Albums I can't imagine living without:
Alphabetically, by Artist...

One-Eighty

--Ambrosia

Watermark
--Enya

Tusk
--Fleetwood Mac

Leftoverture
--Kansas

A Place in the Sun
--Pablo Cruise



5 Films I never get tired of watching:
By Date...


Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)
(Sorry VHS only)
--Marlon Brando, Machiko Kyô, Glenn Ford,
Eddie Albert, Harry Morgan

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
--With Max von Sydow

Head (1968)
--The Monkees

THX-1138 (1971)
--by George Lucas, with Robert Duvall, and Donald Pleasance

Streets of Fire (1984)
--Michael Paré, Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan,
Willem Dafoe, Deborah Van Valkenburgh


UPDATE: While diving out the window, barely escaping the flames, I'm delighted to have had enough time to also grab my dog, & Chris Isaak's The Baja Sessions...

I can't believe I almost forgot Pepe!

8 Comments:

Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Pepe is beautiful!

What Breed is he?

How old?

August 06, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Pepe is a 5 year old Bichon Frise. I got him when he was 3 years old, and got him for free... AKC registration and all.

Pepe's previous owners kept him in a cage when they left the house or went to sleep. He was very skittish when I got him, but he's loosened up quite a bit.

He understands, "bath" (the sound of which makes him run and hide), "ride," "treat," and "chickie" his chew-toy, which doubles as a pseudo-ninny-- he nurses that thing for 30 minutes or more at a stretch. I think he was taken from his mother to soon. Anyway, I'm sure he understands a lot more than that because he surprises me often. He's very fiesty, very happy, and extremely demanding of attention... and I didn't realize I would end up caring this much about him.

His previous owners were just glad to be rid of him, and I'm glad he ended up with me. Their loss... both Pepe's and my gain.

August 06, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

He has the same haircut as my dog, Sydney.

Sydney was four years old when I met him. My Wife has had him since he was a tiny little baby, and as far as I know, he has never known a moment of adversity or discomfort his whole life.

He is an eight year old Lhasa Apso, also AKC Registered.

I never thought that I would allow a dog inside my house, but now that I have lived with him for a while, I cannot imagine life without him.

For a couple of pictures of him (and me...) go to:

http://truckerphilosophy.blogspot.com/2005/10/puppy-love.html

August 06, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Oh, Man!! Sydney is absolutely adorable! And I also understand spoiled... Pepe is as spoiled as they come.

August 06, 2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Oh, yeah, you wrote a post, too.

If my house was burning down, the only thing that I would really try to save would be my Wife and the Dog, My guitars and Amps, and the little file box that my Wife assembled in case the house ever burned down.

(If I couldn't save the file box, I would struggle with the decision to save the Wife. She would NEVER let me forget it.)

Stranded on an Island? I would want my Air Mattress, my big inflatable boat, one acoustic guitar, the Wife and dog.

My favorite books are "The Holy Bible" by God, "1984" and "The Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "Dune" by Frank Herbert, and "The Way Things Ought To Be" by Rush Limbaugh.

My favorite Albums (CD's) are "Moving Pictures" by Rush, "5150" by Van Halen, "Violater" by DePeche Mode, "Evanescence" by, well, you know...and "In Step" by Stevie Ray Vaughan.

My favorite movies are "Smokey and the Bandit", "Office Space", "Duel", "Terminator", and "Alien."

August 06, 2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

1984 and Dune are awesome books... in my top ten. Limbaugh's book is great too, but I wonder what good it would do me on a desert island...

To Moving Pictures I'd also add Grace Under Pressure

Office Space and Alien are fine fine movies. I haven't seen Duel and S&tB? I liked Burt in The Dukes of Hazzard better.

I didn't think about my guitar when I wrote this post...

August 06, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Gotta have your Guitar, man...

If you have that, you don't need the CD's...

August 07, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I see your point, and raise you and endless supply of guitar strings.

August 08, 2006 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home