Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Survivor and Stereotypes

It's been a tradition here at WTVY, to watch Survivor. We air it, we have to watch it... so there it is. The premise for this season seems to have been tailored from a bad joke...

"Okay... A black guy, an asian, a hispanic, and a white dude all walk into a bar..."

BenT and I raced to Wendy's after the 6 o'Clock news to grab some dinner, and made it back with 6 minutes to spare. Plopped down in the lobby and watched. I hate to say it-- but then no, I don't really mind saying it at all --I figured if CBS wanted to split up the contestants based on ethnicity/race, then there's no harm in choosing my winners and losers based on stereotypes. And I wasn't disappointed. The question now is this:

Was this simply a fluke? Or.....? A trend? Time and future airings of Survivor: The Cook Islands will tell. Personally I find it more than a bit curious that a year after Katrina, and the racial rift exposed thereby, that CBS would choose to further illustrate racial inequality.... Not that there IS racial inequality, but what happens if in the end the stereotypes are borne out? It could all turn out to be a bunch of Hooey, but it could turn out to be one of those...

Thangs that make you go.... Hmmmmm.

Having said all that:
The Asians won immunity, the Blacks went to tribal council, the Whites ended up on exile island, and the Hispanics flew completely under the radar.... No surprises there.

One interesting twist/observation though... The losing tribe (the black tribe) got to choose who went to exile island, and they chose a white guy... because of a stolen chicken!

2 Comments:

Blogger benning said...

I enjoyed it. I confess: I like Survivor! I get to laugh at game players who try to convince everyone they aren't playing a game.

I found it amusing to hear one of the black team members saying that blacks don't like to take orders! LOL

The two black guys tried to make the decisions. Then they tried to sweet talk one of the women into allying with them to keep one of them from being voted out. Didn't work! LOL

Looking forward to next week's installment. Heheheee!

September 15, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I haaaaate Survivor, period, and this tripe makes it even more intolerable!

Have fun, 'yall!

I wonder when the first cries of racism will start?

September 16, 2006 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home