Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

First Things First....

I have a few things on the blooging docket today. First up, Voting.

Had a long morning so I didn't get to the polls at 7 like usual. I had a doctors appointment. Blood pressure was 180/110. The nurse asked me if I had White Coat Syndrome. The blank expression on my face told him all he needed to know, so he explained...

White coat syndrome is a condition that describes a condition in some people who, for some inexplicable reason, get fearful the moment they enter the doctors office; which means their blood pressure skyrockets, among other things. I have no idea if this is my deal, despite the fact that my blood pressure does indeed spike when at the doctors office. That being said, I went back on the blood pressure meds just to play it safe. I'll be taking those once every other day. I'm still working toward a more holistic approach to my overall health.

Because of the doctors office and the hours one has to wait just to get a doctor to spend 10 minutes (if THAT!) with you, I missed out on my usual routine:

8-09:00 am -- News Links, Blog Links, Respond to email
9-11:00 am -- "Brian & the Judge" and writing [not always on the blog]
11-1:00 pm -- "Rush Limbaugh Show" and writing/cooking/ironing

But no, I didn't get any of that in today, so I'm a bit behind in the news.

I did finally manage to get to my polling place where I opted to write in my choice of candidate for Governor... Judge Roy Moore. Bob Riley is going to win, but that hardly matters. The Ten Commandments Judge is who I wanted to win the Primary, and he's who I want for Governor.

As for the rest of the ballot. Straight Republican accept for democrat Judge Lawson Little for 20th Judicial Circuit, Place 1. He was the only guy running, but that hardly matters. He's a no nonsense judge and does a great job.

For County Commission, district 1, I chose Independent Tom Steely over Democrat Curtis Harvey.

This was my first time I have ever written in a candidate. And despite the fact that Bob Riley is a great Republican candidate, and will certainly win, Roy Moore more closely reflects my own politics.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Hey, my e-voting machine didn't allow for write ins!

Should I be disenfranchised? Seriously?

November 07, 2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I honestly don't know. We use optical scanning equipment here, so there was a line under each race for write-ins.

If I hadn't intended to write in a candidate for Governor, I would have used the straight Republican option. But there's a disadvantage to that as well... by voting a straight party ticket, you lose the option to vote for a candidate in a race where an apposing party candidate runs unopposed or your party has no dog in the race. I chose to skip that option so I could write in one candidate, vote for one democrat, and one independent.

November 07, 2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Dan Trabue said...

There has to be a way to allow write-ins. I don't know that for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

Did you ask about it?

I use our write-in line frequently, did so yesterday.

And yesterday, perhaps for the first time in my voting life of 25 years, I voted for a major national candidate who actually won (new Congressman John Yarmuth who unseated Anne Northup!).

So, THIS is what it feels like to have a vote that counts for something...

November 08, 2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Dan, it is a rare feeling, ain't it?

November 08, 2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger benning said...

The electronic voting machine I used had the capability to accept a write-in. I didn't use it, and I have no idea how it works. But it's there! LOL

November 08, 2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I had a similar dilemma. I recently moved from Maryland to virginia, so recently, in fact, that it was too late to register to vote in Virginia, so I had to literally drive 145 miles to do what I could to help Michael Steele and Bob Ehrlich win in Maryland.

Seems a long way to go to waste a vote as it turns out.

I voted straight Republican except in one judgeship election because there were only two choices...Democrat or write in. No Republican!

I wrote in Mickey Mouse. I figure he is at least as good as any Democrat.

November 08, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

"...at least as good as any Democrat."

I like Mickey a lot more than I like most Demcrats.

November 08, 2006 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home