Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, December 09, 2006

EL at the Movies

I saw The Nativity Story last weekend. Good movie-- believable sets, clothing, fantastic music that interwove traditional Christmas carols into the film's score. But too much comic relief-- as Hollywood is wont to do --in the form of three wise men from the east. My only gripe, and it's relatively small, is the wise men showing up the night of Jesus' birth, as opposed to days or weeks later.

Today I am going to see Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. I will go from last week's bible-based film to this week's glimpse into the evils of paganism and human sacrifice.

One film I am looking forward to is an adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel, 300, due out this coming March, which tells the story of 300 Spartans fending off 1 million persians at the Battle of Thermopylae. I watched a trailer online yesterday, and was magnificently impressed. It had the look and feel of a cross-pollination between a Maxwell Parrish painting, the written works of JRR Tolkien, and a dash of Robert E. Howard. The film had a creaminess to its texture, as though even dry stone and bleached skulls had the look of oiled silk.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I would like to see The Nativity Story, although I heard that the girl they got to play Mary was not allowed at the screening because she got pregnant after filming and the producer/director thought it wouldn't do well to have the Virgin Mary showing up to the screening as an unwed, pregnant teen! LOL!

I also want to see Apocalypto and 300, they both look really good, but alas, I will likely have to wait for the DVD. Babysitting for three is hard to find!

Let us know how Gibson's film is!

December 10, 2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home