Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Adieu...




I was given an orchard
To tend and to manage
Many long years ago
That has since grown savage
I cared nothing for pruning
Neither harvest nor toil
I cared nothing for weeding
Or tending the soil
Yet as day lay setting
I survey what was mine
And there'll be no breads
Or late summer wines
For the grain fields have perished
The arbors are thin
No figs on the bough
'neath these gables of sin
I'll reap what I have sown
Which is little of worth
For Him who so gifted me
With rich fertile earth
I must seem ungrateful
With so small a yield
Of the promise of bounty
From orchard and field
Pitiful in comparison
To His mercy and grace
I am filled with shame
To be given a place
As a welcomed honored son
Oh, what mercy is mine
To be so utterly loved
By One so graciously kind


ELAshley
071207.075430.6

5 Comments:

Blogger Marshal Art said...

Hey, you ain't quittin' are ya? Feel free to contact me.

July 13, 2007 1:24 AM  
Blogger brent said...

It's amazing that our feeble and sometimes contrary efforts actually become the fertilizer of the great Husbandman.

Peace.

b

July 13, 2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger mom2 said...

EL, I think that pretty well describes us all. Thank God that He promises to complete the good work that He has begun and that he keeps on forgiving us and cleansing us!

July 13, 2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Is this your poetic version of the parable of the talents?

July 14, 2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Just a bit of personal introspection. While some like Graham and Stanley have devoted their lives to the truth or God, I have come to it kinda late in life... and not particularly productive.

Read Matthew 20:1-16 for a comparable application. The parable was not at all in mind when I was writing.

The poem took all of 15 minutes to write and remains largely unedited except for the final four lines-- I toyed with those for about an hour afterward. It's funny how somethings just come to you, and you wonder afterward where it came from.

July 14, 2007 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home