Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Lamenting the God-Emperor

I just finished watching The Children of Dune, a quite faithful adaptation of Frank Herbert's second and third books in the Dune Saga. Peter Lynch had a much better visual feel and an higher production value, but Scifi Channel's productions are far better stories.

What saddens me is the extreme unlikelihood of seeing "The God Emperor" mini-series. That would complete the Atreides cycle of books-- The remaining two find themselves 10,000 years removed from the events of the first four.

It is probably just as unlikely The God Emperor will be put to film as Frank Herbert himself will finish what he left undone with "Chapterhouse: Dune". Frank Herbert died February 12, 1986.

Brian Herbert, his son, along with Kevin Anderson, is currently working on Dune 7 and 8, based on his fathers notes and outlines. I've not been particularly impressed with the six books Frank's son has written thus far, so I don't hold out much hope for these last two, but I will reserve final judgement until after I've read them... I am curious to know what becomes of Duncan Idaho after his escape from Chapterhouse.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I read part of the first Dune book, and it wasn't bad... but I just had a hard time staying focused because of the level of detail he added to every scenery. Good story though, it just seems like 5 minutes of life in the book takes 30 minutes of reading.

February 19, 2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

I have read the whole series all the way up to "Chapterhouse", which I started last year, but never finished.

The "Dune" saga is an extremely long and intricate story, but well worth the read, if you have the time.

I didn't know anyone else in the WORLD other than me had read more than the first two or three...

Lash, you and I have a LOT in common...

I'm glad I stumbled across your Blog.

February 19, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Very intricate, but well worth the time and effort. I like stories that are intricate.

I think what made Dune so enticing was the layering: "it's a political intrique, no... a tale of religious extremism, no... a metaphysical romp, no... just what the hell is it!?"

It's Dune, and there's nothing else like it.

Don't know if you're into Fantasy, Capn, but I'd give Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series an honest try. It's extremely intricate, but long... eleven volumes thus far and only one more to go. After Tolkien, this series beats everything else hands down.

February 19, 2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Phil--

Laughter is welcome. However, without context it's hard to believe your laughter is merely good humor... rather than something more sinister.

February 19, 2006 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home