Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Thursday, June 01, 2006

To Anyone Interested

Something is not right. My blood sugar has been more than excellent the last couple of days, but something still is not right. I had planned to blow off my Dr's appt. this morning because of my morning job and my apparent lust for money, but after the night I jsut had... I don't believe it would be prudent.

At about 9:30 last night, my right arm began experiencing numbness again. By the time I got home after the Ten o'clock news it was my toes as well. Just leaning my wrist against the edge of the desk in front of my PC was enough to cause my lower arm to go numb.

Around 2:30 am I was awakened by numbness in both sets of toes, and a fluctuating numbness first in one arm then the next. My heart rate was around 90, and my blood pressure was a little low.

The same thing at 4:30 am.

It's not the diabetes... but I'm concerned there may be something wrong with my liver or kidney functions, and who knows what else. I've asked God for His help, but the rest falls to me to take care of myself... so it's off to the doctor in about ten minutes.

Thanks for reading. Prayers would be welcome.


UPDATE: 7:00 pm
After 3 hours in various rooms; waiting, examination, lab, and appointment, little was established as to cause, but a whole lot was discussed as to "where to now?"

What we DO know...

1) It is all but impossible for a man whose arteries-- surrounding and feeding the heart --were completely 100% free of blockage 14 months ago to now have a blocked arteries. In the Doctor's words, "you'd be the first."

2) Physical stress is most likely the root cause of tingling extremities. It's possible the diabetes is the culprit, but the doctor thinks not, since I've only been diabetic two years. Apparently it takes years of living with diabetes and uncontrolled blood sugar-- which I have not --to get to the point of nerve damage.

Where To Now?

Remedy: Cut back on the number of days in the week I go immediately from one job to the next; instead of Monday thru Friday, 8:00am to 10:45pm, on the go, Go, GO! I need to cut back to, say, Wednesday to Friday on both jobs and just the morning job on Saturday.... Which is exactly what my schedule was before last week. Most likely, the reason for all the tingling is my inability to get good quality rest; my heart is beating faster to pump blood to the farthest reaches of fingertips and toes because of stress.

After the doctors visit I drove 20 miles up the road to a delightful place called "Ozark" and visited with a nutritionist. The diet isn't rigid, though it is strict. It isn't restrictive, though it is loaded with options to assauge my rather large sweet-tooth. 1st two weeks: No white carbs... bread, crackers, pasta, sugar, etc. This is to give the pancreas a rest, and allow it an opportunity to "jump start", as it were, and begin to work more properly.

If anyone's heard of the "Dead Doctors Don't Lie" guy, Dr. Joel Wallach, I'll be taking his minerals and supplements for 90 days, after which, under my doctors supervision I will try to wean myself off of the diabetes medication. If my blood sugar begins to rise I'll just take the medication and wait another month before trying again. When the goal of getting off the diabetes med is achieved the diet becomes a maintenance plan, with restrictions still, but not as many. I will still have to be careful with my diet and supplement with vitamins, minerals, and EFA's.

A big part of my problem is my weight. The reason why it's uncomfortable to sleep on my side, is because my gut pushes against my diaphram, and so, against the lungs and heart. Hence. The. Diet. Lose 50+ pounds and this problem is eased, as will my blood pressure and blood sugar levels.

I also seem to be suffering from a stomach flu. Lot's of diarrhea (I'm sure everyone wanted to know that part), and nausea. I know of two people who could have passed a bug on to me... BJ my morning boss, and Jonathan the evening director at Job #2.

Doctor Johnson has scheduled me for a device called a Holter Monitor. It's a lot like a computers' hard drive that records twenty-four hours of heart rhythms. I'm going along with this only because it's prudent. I'll have to wear it under my clothes for 24 hours; at work, and at sleep. Perhaps I have an abnormal heart rhythm, who knows? I certainly don't, but I rather think the problem lies in my weight, which is aproximately 100 lbs over the line. Correct the weight, and I just may correct both heart and blood sugar issues. At which point I'll be able to drop both meds, and the exorbitant cost of testing strips-- $100 a month.

Oh, I'm also going to be trying an HGH precursor that stimulates the pituitary gland; 3 capsules before sleep on an empty stomach. The only side effect of this are dreams... guaranteed. The HGH somehow stimulates that part of the brain responsible for REM sleep, which in turn is responsible for deeper more therapeutic sleep sessions, which in turn should reduce my stress levels and hopefully ease the tingling, which is most likely a circulation problem... not nerve damage.

But time will tell. I do feel a lot better already. The tingles are still there, but faintly, and I still have the runs. And my blood sugar is still at fantastic all-time consistently good levels.

Tomorrow is another day. Which means two jobs. But I'm off Saturday AND Sunday, which will give me plenty of time to rest and relax, and maybe even get to finally see "X-Men 3: The final battle" all the way through.... No popcorn this time.

Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. They are greatly appreciated.

Finally, some may question why I would post so much personal information online like this. But as I've stated in previous posts, this blog is all about me; my diary, my thought processes, my likes, loves, desires, disputes, and down-right rejections of all things I consider beneath me, and beneath the Nobler Man. That people read and respond to my posts is icing on an already generously iced cake. Opps! No sugar!!!

Again, thanks for all your prayers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Redneck prayers aloft, man.

June 01, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Go to the doctor! That's a DIRECT order, Soldier!

June 01, 2006 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for you today.

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." -- 1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)

June 01, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I think I'm safe in speaking for the rest of us--We're very relieved!

I've heard of Computer viruses. I'm still suffering from my own bout with the stomach flu (exactly as you described).

Should we call for some kinda study to see if this particular stomach virus can be transmitted theough the web?

What would we call it? "a "Web-Born" virus?

A "Blog-bug"?

Prayers continue, EL. Get you one of those hospital-type tables and blog from bed for a while.

June 01, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

ELAshley, I'm worried about you.

Praying for you at each and every opportunity.

Take care of yourself, my friend.

June 05, 2006 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home