Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Monday, July 24, 2006

Myth Buster: Death by Coat Hanger

Who reading this has ever read Watership Down, by Richard Adams? What a wonderful book! If you haven't, go get a copy now; it is required reading in the school of life.

To the point. Vox Day in his latest article uses a term from Watership Down in the last line:

"...don't be surprised when the answer is the female equivalent of 'hrair.'"


For those of you who haven't yet read Watership Down I've decided to go ahead and explain the reference.

From Wikipedia [unreliable, I know, but wiki's right on, here]...

Hrair is a number too large to count. This term is from the fictional language Lapine used in Richard Adams's Watership Down. In this novel, a rabbit's hrair is greater than 4 whereas, for humans, hrair would be greater than 7 plus or minus 2.

From a psychological perspective, hrair is the point where the person is overwhelmed by concepts or change.


Get Watership Down from Amazon.com, and help Jeff Bezos build his space port.

Finally, if you've read this far without clicking on the Title Link let me just say, everything you've read thus far has absolutely no bearing on the subject of Vox Day's article, accept a point of reference for "Hrair" and a plug for a novel I can't imagine anyone NOT enjoying.

1 Comments:

Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I read the book as a teenager on the isalnd of Crete. I loved it!

I'm going to get it for my kids.

Thanks for reminding me!

July 24, 2006 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home