Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What kind of stories will we hear in heaven?


"Before I knew the Lord I killed two people with a pick axe and bragged about it, I was so sick on the inside. But it took being sentenced to death for the light and love of our Lord to reach my heart, I am so thankful that God, in His infinite mercy, saw something of worth in me, and saved my soul. And even though I was executed for my sins against men, my sins against Father were forgotten and cast as far away as the east is from the west.

"I am so thankful, that our Lord used me while in prison and built up in me a powerful testimony of love and forgiveness. Some chose not to believe my Love for Jesus was real, but that is between He and them. I used what time I had left, from the confines of my prison cell to point to Him...."

Perhaps these will be the words Karla Faye Tucker uses to testify of God's great love and mercy in her life. I for one would love to hear it.

What about Charles "Tex" Watson, who was Charles Manson's right-hand man? Who himself murdered actress Sharon Tate. His death sentence was reversed, but he'll still remain in prison for what remains of his life. He's a born again believer in Christ, and a child of the living God, working out his salvation.... In prison. I said working out, not for. What kind of story will he have to tell? Will his testimony be greater than mine? Or yours?

What about Jeffrey Dahmer? By all accounts he came to know Christ in prison before he was murdered. I sincerely hope this is borne out in eternity. What kind of testimony might he have had for the Gospel of our Lord had the enemy not taken him out so soon? What will Dahmer have to say in praise of our Lord Jesus, when we are all gathered together on that other shore... Telling salvation stories?

Will my story be as filled with grace, demonstrating the Grace and Majesty of God?

Everything I see and read tells me time is short, and as Nichole Nordeman sang...

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


Who did you think would be in heaven? Just saints? Well... yeah!

4 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I think one observation, repeated a million times, will be, "Why, look at who all is here! God's grace really *is* greater than all ... sin."

Another one will be, as we all brush ourselves off from the transition, "Whoa -- so *that's* what 'the skin of their teeth' meant!"

Oh, and here's another one: "Thank God that God's grace, which eventually corrected the Church's unholy biases against lepers, slaves, nonwhite racial minorities, Indians and women, finally broke through its misunderstanding of homosexuality. Look at all our gay brothers and sisters! Praise Jesus!"

Oh, but the most common: "God is. He could have raised up stones to do his work. I am nothing."

What a glorious day that will be.

:-)

December 13, 2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Gawd! LOL!

December 13, 2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I believe we will not remember our life on Earth, either before or after conversion. God has said He will wipe away the tears from our eyes, and I don't see being "tearless" with memories of what I once was.

December 13, 2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I believe we will remember. We will be, of course, changed. We will be righteous and holy, like He is. We will think as He does, and appreciate the same things, such as JUSTICE, love... Righteousness. We will not think it boring or tedious to worship and praise Him for eons at a time.

I believe there will be no more tears because we will understand how merciful He has been to everyone; bending over backwards, even dying to save those of our loved ones who refused the offer. It may seem impossible now in this imperfect mortal facade that we should rejoice in His holiness at the expense of those we once held dear. But how should we feel sorrow for those who now suffer (I speak in future tense) after God has so thoroughly demonstrated His love and His mercy to all?

But I'm also of the mind, and belief, that we will not be standing in rank and file for all eternity singing hymns and praises to Him. We will forever praise Him, but God has never had anything nice to say about slothfulness. There will be work to do, for each of us. And that work will be a delight to us. The universe is vast, and Earth but a single atomic particle in a one-quart jar of lemonade. Whose to say WHAT God will have us doing after all things are fulfilled.

Perhaps I'll get a chance to stride as a giant among the stars, visiting nebulae, pulsars, and new worlds. Establishing outposts of heaven...

December 13, 2006 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home