Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Provocative Fare

As a sci-fi fan, much of my TV fare leans toward the "Provocative", that is to say, cerebrally stimulating. But I do have standards. Shows like Stargate SG1, & Atlantis, while visually satisfying, tend to lean-- all too often --toward the campy. They slavishly cling to the hackneyed...
"Star Trek Model"

50 minutes of dire, life endangering situations.
5 minutes of brilliant solution.
All wrapped up with Humorous Quips, & an all-is-right-with-the-universe sigh of relief.

...which stifles any hope of being taken seriously by me.

I like shows that eschew this mold. I appreciate the fact that good fiction always finds itself firmly rooted in the realistic, however fantastical the setting. Shows that ground themselves in like fashion will find in me a loyal and avid viewer.

11 years ago I had "Babylon 5". It ran for 5 years. When B5 ended its run it was replaced by "Farscape"; another great show. Farscape lasted only 4 years, but waiting in the wings was the phenomenon that has since eclipsed all others, despite it not even being an original story: "Battlestar Galactica". There are other good shows, "The 4400" among them, but BSG beats them all, hands down.

You will find nothing truly clean on BSG. Not the sets, not the faces, not the clothing, not even the situations. Nothing shines bright and new, and nothing is ever resolved at the end of an hour. The concept of "Art Imitating Life" so permeates the story that I find myself on the edge of my seat each and every week. And that is the highest praise I can give any show.

I have never been so impressed with a show as I am with "Battlestar Galactica".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home