Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, February 25, 2006

All My Heroes Are Going to Ground...

Don Knotts
   1924 - 2006

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken is one of those films I've never managed to watch all the way through. I'd catch 15 minutes one year, ten minutes the next, but never the whole film in one sitting. The film I remember best is The Shakiest Gun in the West, the scene of him in the beginning at dental school... The kind of dentist everyone has nightmares about.

Also, the last scene in The Reluctant Astronaut... His bride is on the plane heading for the honeymoon, while Don is on the ground with suitcase in hand, looking very relieved-- and guilty at the same time --for being on good solid ground, instead of with his new wife... too funny!

For me Pleasantville was, by far, the best film he took a part in, though it's not known so much for being a Don Knotts film-- which is not necessarily a bad thing, it's one of those films that entertains and forces you to reflect at the same time. As for The Andy Griffith Show, I remember getting so tired of Mayberry-- Don't ask me why, I couldn't say, but I will say that Barney Fife was, for me, the only reason I enjoyed what I did of it, and Barney was the character Mr Knotts was most proud of.

Every time I see another great one like Don Knotts pass on, it reminds me of just how old I'm getting-- like I need any more reminders.


May God bless you, and keep you, and may you find peace and rest in His loving arms.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm not that old, but I grew up on the Andy Griffith show myself. It's sad to see the good clean actors pass away to be left to this new Hollywood generation of horrid morals and un-G-dliness.

Sometimes I think shows like that helped shaped my morals (because I was otherwise raised secular).

February 26, 2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

An interesting observation. It could be said, with a heap-big spoonful of credibility, that what we watched on television as children shaped our personal moral landscape. After all, if Mom and Dad say nothing about what the children watch, it must be okay to watch.

Consider also MTV's experiment in social engineering. Once upon a time MTV showed music videos that were, for the most part, innocuous. Today, after ten years or more of promoting Godlessness, we have a society increasingly hostile to the things of God. Furthermore, television today is too violent, too provocative, and increasingly sexually explicit, and it's presented as acceptable. Mom and Dad allow the kids to watch it, so it must be okay.

The more we lose in actors like Don Knotts and shows like The Andy Griffith Show, the more we will lose in the rearing of our children, and another generation lost to Godlessness... unless we are relentlessly vigilant.

Thanks for the comment.

February 26, 2006 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home