Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, September 30, 2006

In Opposition VII

What differenciates Christianity from Islam is obvious*

[With Christianity] It is always possible to go back to true evangelical values, the peaceful character of Jesus as opposed to the deviation of the Church. None of the faults of the Church have their roots in the Gospel, Jesus is non-violent. Going back to Jesus is akin to forswear[ing] the exesses of the Church. To the contrary, going back to Mahomet reinforces hate and violence. Jesus is a master of love, Mahomet is a master of hatred. [...] Whereas Judaism and Christianity are religions whose rites spurn violence, by delegitimizing it, Islam is a religion that exalts violence and hatred in its everyday rites and sacred book.



*Taken from the essay by Robert Redeker, forced into hiding for daring to criticize Islam.

Also, from a letter written by Redeker to his friend, philosopher André Glucksmann:

"I am now in a catastrophic personal situation. Several death threats have been sent to me, and I have been sentenced to death by organizations of the al-Qaeda movement. [...] On the websites condemning me to death there is a map showing how to get to my house to kill me, they have my photo, the places where I work, the telephone numbers, and the death fatwa. [...] There is no safe place for me, I have to beg, two evenings here, two evenings there. [...] I am under the constant protection of the police. I must cancel all scheduled conferences. And the authorities urge me to keep moving. [...] All costs are at my own expense, including those of rents a month or two ahead, the costs of moving twice, legal expenses, etc.

"It's quite sad. I exercised my constitutional rights, and I am punished for it, even in the territory of the Republic. This affair is also an attack against national sovereignty – foreign rules, decided by criminally minded fanatics, punish me for having exercised a constitutional right, and I am subjected, even in France, to great injury."


----

Click here to view the previous 6 'In Opposition's'

Do you think the French are beginning to realize their peril? America certainly isn't.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Apropos of nothing, but a thought:

If the Klan, the real KKK, not today's, had had the Internet ... well, it would've made it easier to lynch people.

Also, France is dealing with more than extremists around the edtes of society. They gotta buttload of Muslims over there -- and French society is struggling to deal with it. Threats of violence aside, if there are enough Muslims in France now to affect the overall, historically more or less libertine culture, well, that's part of it.

Also, it's veddy veddy interesting -- and yet another misunderestimable kind of twisty weirdness -- if fundamentalist Christians, who, last I heard, generally opposed public lewdness, find themselves opposing fundamentalist Muslims for opposing public lewdness. Just plain weird.

September 30, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Holy Nathan Bedford Forrest! In my first two lines above, I speak as a historian, not a partisan of the Klan.

September 30, 2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Confused, ER? Sheesh!

September 30, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Perhaps you think I'm confused. But I didn't say I was confused.

??

Oh, wait. You'e at war with ALL Muslims. I forgot. So, any legitimate, nonviolent effect they might be having on French society doesn't matter. Cue Emily: "Never mind!"

September 30, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

You don't have to say you're confused, Rev. It's pretty obvious by what you write and the way you write it.

October 01, 2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

The only 'weird' I see is the Weird* of Europe; under assault, and doing nothing substantive to defend itself. To continue in this direction is accept inevitable defeat.

----
*Weird - n 1. Fate; destiny. 2. One's assigned lot or fortune, especially when evil.

October 01, 2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Oh yeah! (Yeah!) Oh yeah? (Yeah!) Oh yeah?? (Yeah!)

Dad, you've grown tiresome.

October 02, 2006 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home