Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In Memorium -- Sandra JoAnn Brown Bell

This woman was a surrogate mother to me at a time when my own mother lived hundreds of miles away. I haven't seen Mrs Bell in nineteen years-- when I left Panama City. It's been eighteen years since I've seen James, her middle son, and the closest thing to a best friend I had at the time (though I was not his best friend)... and now, come to think of it, his cousin Stephanie was a better friend to me.

Mrs Bell fed me, paid for trips to the movie, and genuinely cared about my well-being-- yet I was not her son. The running joke at the dinner table was,

'Eric? Would like some tea?'

My nose would curl upward in disgust and everyone would laugh. Curiously, I absolutely love tea now.

I have thought of her often over the years but never made an effort to get in touch. I wish now I had. I would like to have been able to express my gratitude to her. The only thing I can do now is send flowers and seek to thank those who are still here-- other friends who have helped to shape the man I've become; people whom I would not wish to see depart this world without knowing the impact they had on my life and that I still think of them. The best I can do now, however, is send flowers.

I don't expect my acknowledgement to inspire her sons to make contact with me. I'm not even sure I'd know what to do with such a contact... for we are certainly moving in opposite directions.

My heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to her family.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?"

And isn't it always sad?

Be grateful for the time you had, and the temper in which you parted. Too many people lose someone they love without ever telling them so, or at least forgiving them.

I have always been grateful that my father and I patched up our differences before he died.

Blessings to you, Eric.

January 30, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger brent said...

I send my condolences to you and pray that Father would comfort you with an overwhelming awareness of His presence in this time of your loss.

Peace.



He has given you a gift.

January 30, 2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger benning said...

"Be grateful for the time you had, and the temper in which you parted. Too many people lose someone they love without ever telling them so, or at least forgiving them."

Mark said it all, ELA. GOD Bless her and her family, and those she touched.

January 31, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Her sons will recognize your compassion...and will remember it, EL.

January 31, 2007 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home