Pocket Full of Mumbles

What's done is done, and this puppy's done. Visit me over at Pearls & Lodestones

Saturday, January 20, 2007

New Sidebar Elements

For those who might find some interest in what I'm reading or listening to, I've added two new catagories near the top of the sidebar.

I don't usually buy CD's anymore as I've got close to two-thousand already, but a very, very few of these are from Christian artists. Honestly, until a few years ago I didn't care for what I was hearing on the radio. I can listen to Southern Gospel, but there's only so much I can take of Gospel Quartets, and until a few years ago there wasn't a good/viable Contemporary-Christian station in my area... so what's in my list are CD's I've recently bought.

City of Gold, tops the list because it's exactly as the cover bills... Impressions of Heaven in Poety and Song..., and track 2, "The Golden City"... Awesome!

We will meet in the golden city, in the new Jerusalem
All our pain and all our tears will be no more.
We will stand with the hosts of heaven and cry, "Holy is the Lamb",
We will worship and adore You ever more


As to what I'm reading. I tend to read several books at once-- I know I'm not alone in this.

What's at the top is Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. It is simply amazing to me just how much I didn't know about my homeland. Heaven is not going to be the eternal worship service many people think; it will not be the least bit boring-- no harps, halos, or clouds to sit upon, only good solid resurrected earth; rich soil, healthy vegetation, blue skies; just Heaven on Earth... Literally...

"What we have assumed about Heaven has reduced it to a place we look forward to only as an alternative to an intolerable existence here on the present Earth. Only the elderly, disabled, suffering, and persecuted might desire the Heaven we imagine. But the Bible portrays life in God's presence, in our resurrected bodies in a resurrected universe, as so exciting and compelling that even the youngest and healthiest of us should daydream about it.

"No wonder Satan doesn't want us to learn the truth about Heaven. If we fall in love with the place and look forward to the future that God has for us, we'll fall more in love with God, and we'll be emboldened to follow him with greater resolve and perspective."

[Emphasis added]


This book has been beyond fascinating.

As for the rest. I've read Lee Strobel's The Case for a Creator which lays out the proof of God's existence beyond a shadow of doubt. The Case for Christ is no different; it lays out the proofs that will allow those searching for the historical Jesus to actually find Him... He did indeed walk the Earth, and do many wonderful works.

The remaining three are for simple enjoyment. Only Steven R. Donaldson's The Runes of the Earth is new to me. Jordan's Knife of Dreams and Orwells 1984 are getting the second and third read, respectively.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan Trabue said...

I don't listen to Contemporary Christian Music any more, but when I did, I sure loved Rich Mullins and Randy Stonehill. I still listen to them and they're worth checking out, if you're not familiar with them.

Is the Case for Christ much different than CS Lewis' Mere Christianity?

January 20, 2007 9:01 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Frankly, the comparison never occurred to me-- I would have to ponder that awhile. But on the surface I see the two works as different animals arriving at the same conclusion. Here are the differences as I see them...

Mere Christianity is far more cerebral [which is not to say that Case for Christ isn't], relying heavily on logic; 'If this, and this, then that'-- very Aristotelian without the inherent pitfalls. Lewis' conclusions are, in my estimation, without controversy.

The Case for Christ, however, seems to rely more on tangible proofs that the esoteric gymnastics of logic for which Lewis is famous.

Different Animals... same output.

January 20, 2007 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home